Saturday, September 13, 2008

Walking Down 25th On a Sunny Saturday



It was such a beautiful day on September 13 that I was able to get Jean out of the house with no coaxing at all. Also, without a top coat. You have no idea how rare this is.

It was around three in the afternoon.

The walk started with a bang when Anna went racing down the opposite sidewalk. Anna is a standard poodle. She has no fancy hair cut and is very friendly. Someone down the block had called for her and off she had went. A galloping standard poodle, fancy haircut or not, is a sight to see. Katherine followed along shortly after with leash in hand, calling for Anna to come back. Anna finally did, meeting Katherine just about exactly across the street from us. If I had been in a capricious mood I might have called for Anna myself and she would have bounded over to us. A welcoming look probably would have worked just as well. I stayed the impulse and Katherine got Anna to sit before I changed my mind.

Jean and I then continued south.

Further down the sidewalk Jerry, who lives three houses down on same side as us, was talking to a man who we didn't recognize. They ended their talk before we got to them. The last time I saw Jerry was the night before he and his wife Teresa were going to Italy. I asked about the trip. He gave us a nice report and asked if we had sampled the lemon cucumbers. I told him that we had enjoyed them immensely. Our garden had produced two or three hundred cucumbers of two different types. We gave away dozens of them. Jerry in return had given us some of his, of the lemon type, which I had never heard of.

It is a very gardening street. Katherine and her husband Howard grow stuff all winter. Cattycorner at the end of the block is a man who grows a crop of wheat in his yard. He is also a great connoisseur of strawberies. Every year he grinds his harvested front yard wheat into flour and makes it into shortcakes for his own private strawberry festival. Just about everyone in the neighborhood shows up. Jean and I attended the last one and had an extremely nice time.

We continued our walk without anything else exciting happening. It is expected to be another beautiful day tomorrow.

Dennis

No comments: