Friday, September 5, 2008

Oregon/Burning Man




To my surprise, I learned that Burning Man is the brainchild of an Oregonian, Larry Harvey

Burning Man was part of my life this summer because both Margaret Beeson, Fremont Street's resident Art Therapist, and Damon Eckhoff, the web designer for the Oregon Sesquicentennial Film Festival, were attendees. Margaret worked as a cook, Damon served coffee ( I think).

Margaret came back with a smile and a tan. She said the much reported dust storm was not severe enough to cause concern, and only occupied two days out of the entire festival. She and Depak, her boyfriend, were in charge of feeding 20 people throughout the festival - I asked her if they brought enough food along to last and she said they did. Miraculous!

Both Margaret and Damon are new to Portland. Margaret is from the Southwest; Damon from the Midwest. Both are artists. I suspect neither are aware that Burning Man is the creation of another Portland artist.

No comments: